Thursday, September 13, 2012

Caramelized Onion Pork Chops with Sweet Onion Jam



Bob and I are 1/3 of the way done with Whole 30! Wahoo! I am feeling pretty good and getting my energy back. I’ve felt strong the last few days during the WODs. I do have to note, we haven’t run in the last few days, so that may be why. ;-) The eating part of it all is pretty easy. I am not really experiencing any urges to eat something non-paleo. We have been having fun and trying new things to eat as well!

Last night I made a seemingly fancy dinner all by myself! I had never cooked pork before (besides bacon :-) ). Honestly, I never really liked any pork chop I’ve had before. But Bob likes pork chops and pork steaks, so I thought I’d give it a try. We picked up the meat at Seisel's yesterday after we hit up the San Diego Public Market and Specialty Produce. I decided to try the recipe that was posted on CrossFit Mission Gorge’s WOD site that day. It seemed easy enough, while the spices and flavors seemed complex enough for me to want to try it. It actually turned out great!

My dinner last night

 I still think that pork chops are kind of a bland piece of meat, but similar to chicken if you get enough going on around and on top of it, it can taste good. The recipe calls for Italian seasoning, but we don’t have that so I used thyme, rosemary, basil, oregano, and marjoram (which are the spices that usually make up Italian seasoning). Also, it took a little longer for the onions to caramelize – about 35 minutes on medium, but other than that I followed the instructions precisely.

 The pork chops are seasoned and ready to go while the onions are cooking

 I roasted some broccoli and brussel sprouts with garlic as a side. In order to have everything done at the same time, I prepared everything first. I put the vegetables in the oven 10 minutes after I started cooking the onion jam. And then I started the pork chops 10 minutes after that. Everything finished at the same time. It was beautiful. Domestic bliss! I couldn’t believe I achieved such a thing! And everyone finished their plates!

 It only takes about 7 minutes on each side for the pork to get nice and browned

No comments:

Post a Comment