Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The San Diego Public Market



The San Diego Public Market is finally up and running. Today was opening day! The market is located in the Barrio Logan/Logan Heights neighborhood and will be open Wednesdays and Sundays 9am-2pm. Bob and I went today to support our local farms and small businesses and to support the market itself. From what I heard the goal here is to get a permanent public market similar to Pike’s Place Market of Seattle. I am hoping that as some time passes and the popularity of the market increases that eventually the SD Public Market will be more like Pike’s Place Market: opened daily, a little longer hours, and permanent vendors.



 Today we bought some fresh mint, an avocado, pluots (apricot and plum cross), white nectarines, heirloom tomatoes (from Suzie’s farms), and lamb sausage from (T & H Prime Meat and Sausage). Lamb is my favorite kind of meat! I feel like out of all the kinds of meat I have tasted, lamb has the most distinct flavor. They had samples of the lamb sausage and I couldn’t pass it up. Speaking of samples, I do have to warn that there are a lot of tempting samples at the market -- many of them being big no-no’s on Whole 30, such as cheese and hummus.  If you are going to try a sample of something with ingredients (something besides a fruit or vegetable) then make sure you read the label or ask. You don’t want to accidentally cheat.

 

I also couldn’t pass up on more heirloom tomatoes from Suzie’s Farm. The heirloom tomatoes they gave us to take home after the tour we took on Saturday were the best tomatoes I have ever had. Bob and I both agreed that the larger yellow and orange one tasted like a peach! I don’t know if we were tripping, because we hadn’t had sugar in a while, but regardless the tomato was delicious. Jenna, one of our tour guides from Suzie’s Farm was there working the farmer’s market and she told us that they put a lot of heirloom tomatoes in their CSA’s! Awesome!

I bought the fresh mint to put in my tea and soda water – an idea Coach Kelly at CrossFit Mission Gorge gave me this morning. I made kind of an alcohol/sugar-free mojito. A few days ago Bob juiced 30 limes and put the lime juice in the freezer. A spoonful of the frozen lime juice with some mint leaves is a refreshing, fun drink! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment