Sunday, September 30, 2012

Scaling Back -- literally and figuratively -- On Nuts and Fruits



So in order to keep myself from indulging too much with fruits and nuts, I decided to only allow myself one or the other each day. One day I could eat fruit and no nuts. The next day I could eat nuts, but no fruit. I think this trick was somewhat successful for a while… but after a week or two I found myself coming home at 3 in the morning from work and eating a shit ton of frozen berries right out of the bag… or mindlessly munching away at nuts while watching TV, because “I could” that day. So last week, I decided I wouldn’t eat ANY nuts or fruits for three days (Monday through Wednesday) and just focus on getting more protein and vegetables in me. It was actually surprisingly easy. Since it had already been over three weeks since I started Whole 30, carb withdrawal (or needing energy from carbohydrates) wasn’t an issue. My body didn’t really need the fruits or nuts, because I have become a “fat burner” not a “carb burner.” To learn more about being fat-adapted (or a fat-burner) read this article by Mark Sisson. You may know him better as Mark's Daily Apple!

It was so easy in fact, that by Thursday I was thinking I would just go the rest of the week  with no nuts or fruits….maybe even until my Whole 30 is over!

But Bob, of course, roasted nuts that night. His seasoning is perfect… and right out of the oven I couldn’t say no! I went the 3 days, so I decided to eat those delicious, roasty nuts. I haven’t touched the leftovers though, because I decided to go another 3 days (Friday through Sunday) without nuts or fruits. Depending on how I feel tomorrow, I may have some fruit for dessert. I may not.

Fruits are a significant source of sugar, which causes an insulin response, which causes fat storage. Nuts are calorically dense and if eating more than a small handful add up to a significant amount of carbohydrates too. If one of your main goals is to lose weight during Whole 30, I would suggest after you start feeling great (2nd or 3rd week) you should cut way back (or even better – cut out) nuts and fruits. They are great healthy food choices for weight maintenance, but can slow weight-loss progress. If you are doing Whole 30 for other reasons then go nuts! :-P

No comments:

Post a Comment