Thursday, September 6, 2012

Challenges in the First 3 1/2 Days: Carb Withdrawal



I’m going to take a moment and discuss how the first 3 and half days have been. I believe my experience is very common among those of you who have and those of you who will begin the Whole 30 Program or eating paleo for the first time. Bob and I were very excited to get going and to really get strict on our diet – especially after two weeks of getting completely off track and feeling like crap. This is partially the reason I started a week before my gym, CrossFit Mission Gorge, starts their Whole 30 challenge (which I have signed up and committed to). I was definitely feeling positive going into it. I eat paleo most of the time. The hardest part, I thought, would be missing out on the social aspects of drinking and eating out, but that actually sticking strict with food would be easy breezy. So far, that has been partially true. 

I would say that Bob and I have been pretty prepared – educated on what’s great, good, ok, and not ok to eat during this challenge, planning together on what to eat for dinner, and brainstorming ideas on how not to get bored with food or life. What exactly I wasn’t prepared for and (maybe foolishly) not expecting were the symptoms of carb-withdrawal. When I lived in Seattle I belonged to CrossFit Seattle. They held 7 week paleo challenges twice a year. I am very familiar with how most or at least many people feel when they start eating paleo after 20, 30, 40, 50+ years of eating the typical American diet: headaches, lack of energy, dizziness. These are symptoms of carb-withdrawal. When Bob first began the paleo diet a few months ago he had some of these symptoms. I told him, “Hey, that’s normal. It’s only temporary. A week, maybe two and you will be fine.” What I told him was true, but I couldn’t say it with much empathy, because I, myself had never suffered those symptoms in the years I have eaten paleo. Even after straying off the path a little bit and finding my way back on.

Something is different this time. Starting the evening of Day 1 Bob and I had both developed little irritating headaches that haven’t gone away yet. The headache really isn’t THAT bad. Neither of us has taken anything for it. When I keep myself really busy I hardly notice it. It is more irritating than anything. We also have complained about feeling low on energy. For me, it hits me more during the evening. This time Bob is the one consoling me, promising me it goes away eventually. So funny. This morning I was feeling especially weak. As I was drinking my (de-caffeinated detox) tea I noticed I was shaking and my body felt heavy. Maybe I shouldn’t have waited so long to eat breakfast. I got up and began cooking (what has become) my usual fried egg over-easy for breakfast. While that was cooking I felt like I couldn’t wait to eat and grabbed a handful of almonds and walnuts with just a few dried berries. I immediately felt like that did some good. I sat down with my egg and a small scoop of homemade guacamole. I felt a lot better, but not all the way better. I usually don’t care for eating a lot for breakfast, but food was making me feel better. So I ate some more nuts and seeds and one piece of dried pear. By the time I looked at the clock it was 11:20am and I felt good enough to go to the noon CrossFit class. Class started ok with some mobility and strength (split jerks – one of my favorites). Then came the WOD. 50 pull-ups, 1 mile run, 50 kb swings (35lbs for women) for time. I knew the pull-ups and swings wouldn’t be a big deal, but running – running is not my strength. The time started and I get my pull-ups in less than 3 ½ minutes. Not too bad. Then I started the run. My coach yelled, “Get that run done in 9 minutes.” Which shouldn’t be too much of a challenge for a mile, right? Holy crap – between the heat (it has been really frickin hot in San Diego), my full tummy (I prefer working out on an empty stomach), and my lack of energy I wasn’t doing too great. I even stopped a few times and walked! In the 3 years I have been doing CrossFit I don’t think I have ever stopped and walked during the run in a WOD – even when it has been a mile. Anyway, the few who were behind me when I started out my run passed me a little over a half mile. I started walking again. There was a guy working construction on the other side of the street and he yelled at me, “Don’t give up.” That was a good little push I needed after all my gym family had passed me and were too far ahead in the run to encourage me. It took me almost 13 minutes to run that mile. And that is REALLY embarrassing and something I shouldn’t put in writing! After being so worn out by the run, the swings were difficult, but do-able. Man, I don’t know if I ever laid on the floor after a WOD so long. And this wasn’t even a hard one! I felt kind of sick again and that irritating headache came back. I can’t wait until these initial symptoms go away!

I am not exactly sure why I have been suffering more this time around, but I have a couple ideas. First of all I went literally two weeks where I ate pretty much whatever I wanted – I had lots sandwiches, french fries, burgers,  and pizza two times (although only 1 slice each time, but I usually go months between pizza indulges). I don’t think I have really gone that crazy with food since I started caring about what I eat 3 ½ years ago. Secondly, I have never cut out fruit. Now, I am not going to cut out fruit through this entire Whole 30 process, but I did decide I should be careful about not going overboard with fruit, because that’s what I tend to do when I get strict on my diet. As I stated in my introduction, I had a goal to not eat fruit for the first 3 days, which I succeeded at.  I ate very minimal carbs my first 3 days, which may be the main reason I have been experiencing withdrawal symptoms.

I don’t mean to share my experience to be discouraging or scary. I just want you to know if you don’t feel 100% at the beginning of your Whole 30 or paleo experience  it is normal, BUT the feeling will pass! And when it does I know I will be feeling better than ever! And so will you! So don’t let the challenges in the first few days or week (sometimes up to 2 weeks) stop you! There are great benefits to a clean diet that you don’t want to and shouldn’t miss out on. You never know, you may start feeling great from beginning to end.

2 comments: