Sunday, September 23, 2012

The Sweet Potato: A New Way to Dress It and How it Can Help During Your Whole 30

It's Day 21! Bob and I are 2/3 of the way done with Whole 30. We still feel great! I have to tell you. If you are doing Whole 30 or plan to, the first two weeks are tough, but after you make it half way you feel great and it's totally worth it! So stick with it!

On a different note: We made baked sweet potatoes as a side for dinner last night. I garnished mine with coconut oil, ghee, rosemary, and dry roasted pecan pieces! So good. Try adding pecans to your sweet potato. A sweet potato with butter (clarified of course) and pecans tastes so decadent, it feels like it can't be Whole 30 approved. I felt like I was being bad! But without the physical repercussions.


This was last night's dinner: pork steak, roasted broccoli with garlic, and a sweet potato. It was too much food, especially with the filling sweet potato. I only ate about a third of my pork and not quite half of the sweet potato. But I did eat all of my broccoli! Gotta get those greens!

 Baked sweet potato at 400 degrees for 50 minutes. Dressed with coconut oil, ghee, rosemary, and dry roasted pecan pieces.

When I belonged to CrossFit Seattle, I went to the paleo seminars led by Dave Werner often. I have heard him mention in his seminars and to people personally as a piece of advice that if you were struggling with carb withdrawal you could eat a little sweet potato for an energy boost. I didn't follow this advice during my first week of Whole 30, because I was being very stubborn and decided that I wanted to rid myself of carb dependence as quickly as possible by pretty much not eating any significant source of carbohydrates. It did work, I guess... but it probably would have been a little less painful if I incorporated a little sweet potato or a little more fruit in my diet during the first week. In the end, I probably would have had the same results and still feel just as great as I do now.

No comments:

Post a Comment