Saturday, September 22, 2012

Try Cooking a Food Item You Have Never Cooked Before



I cooked eggplant for the first time a couple of days ago. Even though I have enjoyed eating eggplant I never thought about trying to cook it myself. But when I got a couple of eggplants from Suzie’s Farm’s tour I had no reason to put this venture off. I did a little research online and decided to follow this video. Although I didn’t brush the olive oil on the eggplant…I drizzled…well I poured the olive oil on the eggplant halves and spread it around with my fingertips. I also seasoned the eggplant with garlic powder, thyme, and fresh cracked black pepper. The eggplant soaked up the flavors nicely. I just ate the eggplant meat right out of the skin. It reminded me of a baked squash or a baked potato. Not sure if the texture is supposed to get that mushy. The video warns that eggplant “has a tendency to suck up oil like a sponge when you cook it” if not prepared properly…as if that would be a problem..??? That sounds like a good thing to me. Anyway, not sure if the eggplant turned out the way it was “supposed” to, but it was delicious regardless. I ate both eggplants in one sitting. Mmmm. The roasted/baked eggplant would be a good substitute for a baked potato when you’re craving some hearty comfort food.


 Since starting the Whole 30 I have cooked two things I have never cooked before – pork chops and eggplant. It’s been so fun trying new foods! I implore all of you doing the Whole 30 program to TRY NEW THINGS. Try new foods, recipes, preparations! It will keep you from getting bored and you will stay excited about eating this way!

No comments:

Post a Comment